Pages

Tuesday 11 June 2013

Juneathon day 11 - slightly too short long run

My legs were feeling pretty good today after a couple of dodgy days, and I'm happy to see that it's possible to recover from achiness whilst still keeping running. I had begun to worry that running every day would mean my legs getting sorer and sorer each day until I couldn't take it any more and would have to retire permanently to the sofa. Hopefully that's not going to be the case. Also, I'm going to be at Glastonbury at the end of the month and it's going to put a considerable dampener on things if I can't walk by the time I get there. 

This is a busy week so today was the only feasible day for a long run. After the frustrations of running slowly with the heart rate monitor at the weekend I decided to just go for it today and not worry about pace. The first 5k or so felt very hard going. My legs were heavy and my calves felt very tight. For a good while there was a woman running in the same direction on the other side of the road, a little bit behind me but slowly gaining. When she eventually passed me I determined not to let her get more than about 20 metres ahead so I sped up, and was able to maintain that faster pace for the rest of the run. Thank you anonymous woman for your motivational help!

I really wanted to beat the distance I ran on sunday but unfortunately I misremembered it as 12.39 when actually it turns out it was 12.79, so I fall less than 200 metres short which is VERY annoying. On the plus side I've covered almost the same distance as on sunday but taken 22 fewer minutes to do it, which I am very happy about indeed. Sunday's average pace was 7.56, today's was 6.16 - that feels much more like it. 

I passed quite a lot of other runners today and said (gasped) hello to all of them. I've noticed that women running in pairs hardly ever acknowledge a runner coming the other way whereas most other people, men or women, generally do. No idea what that's about, but how hard is it to make eye contact and at least grimace some kind of greeting?


Day 11 12.51k in 1.18.26
Runningfree stats

No comments:

Post a Comment